HomeWorld Cup

Adepoju: Argentina Are Desperate But Eagles Can Be Dangerous Too

Adepoju: Argentina Are Desperate But Eagles Can Be Dangerous Too

It’s game day! Nigeria and Argentina will both know their fates after 90 minutes this evening. This is the kind of games you want to be involved in as a player. You want to give your all, get stuck in and leave it all on the pitch without hold back one bit.
I expect a very good and exciting match, even more than what we saw against Iceland the other day. I expect to see two teams with two contrasting fortunes. A Nigerian side brimming with confidence after the 2-0 win over Iceland and an Argentina that’s bristling with hurt and anger after getting just one point from two games.
Argentina are a wounded lion seeking for revenge. They will be desperate to get all three points and, honestly, they have the players to do it. They will want to come out all guns blazing hoping to catch the Super Eagles.
And, I think, this is where Nigeria can be dangerous. We are also desperate. We want to win and progress to the next round. If Argentina think they are hurt, the Eagles also want to make Nigerians happy so they have their backs to the wall. And the whole world knows how dangerous Nigeria can be when our backs are to the wall. We can be very dangerous.
If I’m Rohr, they say you don’t change a winning team so I will allow the team that played the last game to start although I would want Tyronne Ebuehi to be in the starting line-up. I want the same personnel we used in midfield. We need to mop up spaces in the middle so that Lionel Messi is starved of the ball. Our
I played against Argentina twice, once at the 1994 World Cup and the 1995 Intercontinental (now Confederations) Cup in Saudi Arabia. The current team is nothing to compare with that team but there are certain characteristics common to all Argentina teams like their tenacity, never say die attitude and readiness to fight dirty and win by all means necessary including conning the referee to get favours. They also have a team filled with quality players. A team with Messi, Sergio Aguero, Angel Di Maria, Paulo Dybala etc is a team to respect anyday. i expect them to come out strongly, compact and look to force errors.
Messi is the greatest threat regardless of the team’s performance so far. He is the man to stop but we have to be careful how we approach him. I want someone to be on him and stick to him like a second skin. I think Wilfred Ndidi is better suited for that job but we can use Oghenekaro Etebo too. It just means that we will be curtailing the attacking instinct of Etebo if we give him that role.
On our own side, Ahmed Musa has already made himself undroppable after that amazing performance against Iceland. I believe he’s going to continue in that form. Etebo and Ndidi in midfield will play alongside captain Mikel Obi. Iheanacho also complements the attack with his hold-up play.
Musa’s speed will come in handy against the Argentina central defence of Javier Mascherano and Nicolas Otamendi which is not the fastest pair, in my opinion. When he played against them in the 2014 World Cup and last November in the friendly game, he showed that speed and did well so I believe he will do well again today.
Finally, I’m excited about this game and I believe we shall get enough to progress to the next round. I predict a 2-1 win for Nigeria in this game. See you at full time. Up Super Eagles!
completesports classifieds

Fastest Paying Betting Site in Nigeria: Grab your 140% First Time Deposit Bonus Now — www.Sportybet.Com

Copyright © 2021 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.



  • naija fanatic 3 years ago

    well, I predict a 3-0 win for the eagles. It’s revenge time.

  • Nig. v Arg. Review

    Never in the field of sporting endeavours has so much been expected by so many from so few.

    Millions of Super Eagles fans at home and abroad are expected the SE class of 2018 to do what no other Super Eagles team have done in the history world cup – defeat former world cup champions Argentina.

    According to Google, Argentina have a win probability of 62% while Nigeria has 17% and a draw probability set at 21%. Even when you add the win and draw probability, Nigeria will still have a combined probability of 38% to get a positive result needed to make progress in the tournament.

    So, what tips do I have for my dear Super Eagles in order to spring the odds in our favour?

    – Be mindful that Argentina will try to draw fouls in dangerous areas; do not commit needless fouls.

    – I will have no problem if Victor Moses tries to win fouls for Nigeria with Iheanacho on hand to convert.

    – Continue to be a resolute side.

    – Defend set pieces as if their lives depend on it.

    – Not to fall for Argentina’s in-play mind games.

    – Defend en-masse and attack with style.

    – Deploy annoying shenanigans like, time-wastings, if Nigeria is leading.

    – Finally: have the mentality/mind-set that NIGERIA CAN DEFEAT ARGENTINA AT THE WORLD CUP!

  • Daniel Onojeide 3 years ago

    The game is 5-2 Nigeria 5 Argentina 2 the argentine score first


    Moses Musa
    Mikel Ndidi
    Omeruo/Idowu Balogun Ekong Ebuehi

    Please motivate them all through !!!

  • Please, Gernot Rorh , you should improve the Super Eagles, psyche and motivate them for victory all the time from the beginning to the end of all their games, they should never lose concentration even at the last minutes of all their games, motivate them all through !!!

  • I would say it again, as have previously stated, I want to thank Almighty GOD and also to thank Gernot Rorh, for listening to our plea to play this set of players

  • We all too forget that this team is becoming a slow starter and that is my fear. If we’d start as we have been doing these past two matches, then there will be problem. #soar_eagles