Fabio Capello has slammed Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for failing to attend 2018 FIFA The Best Awards ceremonyon Monday night, despite both receiving nominations.
Juventus forward, Ronaldo, was up for the top award of best men’s player, while Messi received a nomination for the Puskas award for best goal.
Both players failed to attend the awards due to their club’s schedule in Spain and Italy respectively.
“The absence of Ronaldo and Messi? It is a lack of respect, for the players, for FIFA and for the world of football,” Capello told TVE.
“It is possible that they won too much and do not like to lose. In life, you have to be good when you win and when you lose.”
Former Uruguay and Manchester United forward Diego Forlan was also furious at the pair snubbing the event stating that he sees as a lack of respect for the event and their status as role models.
“It’s a pity. Messi attended the gala last year and he didn’t win,” said Forlan after the UEFA gala night.”
“It’s a pity if it happens the same with Ronaldo than in the UEFA gala.”
“It’s an event of every player and it’s important to be here. No matter who wins. A player has to show with his attitude and actions because they are a model for the world.”
Croatian great Davor Suker also fumed at the pair’s lack of sportsmanship over the snub.
‘You have to be a gentleman when you win, but also when you lose,” Suker added during the Gala Nite.
Both Ronaldo and Messi have won the award five times each in the last decade. Ronaldo won for the last two years, as well as two FIFA Ballon d’Ors and once claiming FIFA World Player of the Year while
Messi, claimed four Ballons d’Or as well as one FIFA World Player of the Year honour.
Modric who scoped the top prize, also added: “Everyone has their own reasons (for their absence). Obviously, I would have liked them to be here but they aren’t.”How Natural Herbal Remedy Killed Stubborn Staphylococcus, Ecoli And Aureus And Other Infections