The Super Eagles wrapped off the 2018 FIFA World Cup preparations by losing to Czech Republic 1-0 in Austria on Wednesday. Completesportsnigeria.com’s JOHNNY EDWARD presents five interesting facts from the defeat…
1. Odion Ighalo extended his goal drought for the Super Eagles of Nigeria to six games in Wednesday’s 1-0 loss to Czech Republic. The Changchun Yatai striker last scored for Nigeria in their 4-0 win over Cameroon during the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier in Uyo. Ighalo has scored four goals in 18 games for Nigeria.
2. Francis Uzoho has failed to keep a clean sheet in goal for Nigeria in his last four games. Uzoho whose only clean sheet for Nigeria was in the 1-0 win over Poland, has made six international appearances, conceding six goals. The 19-year-old shot-stopper made four outstanding saves in the Super Eagles defeat to Czech Republic.
3. Ahmed Musa made his 70th appearance for the Super Eagles, coming on for Victor Moses in the 80th minute of the defeat to Czech Republic. Musa has scored 13 goals since making his debut in 2010. His last goal for Nigeria was in a 3-0 win over Togo in an international friendly game played at the Stade des Diablots in France just a year ago. The Leicester City forward scored twice in the encounter.
4. William Troost Ekong’s 20th appearance for the Super Eagles ended in defeat to Czech Republic. The Bursaspor defender made four tackles and two clearances in the defeat partnering Leon Balogun in the heart of the Super Eagles defence. Ekong who made his debut in 2015 against Chad has featured in 11 wins, four draws and five defeats.
5. Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr suffered his fourth defeat in charge of the team against Czech Republic. It was the third defeat in five games for Rohr’s men in their pre-World Cup preparatory games. He has previously lost to South Africa, Serbia and England.Copyright © 2022 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.
Even tiwa savage can be better than ighalo in term of scoring goals
lmaooooooo. you be savage for that.lol
all I learnt is DAT super eagles always beat big teams and loss to small ones,but on a second thought ihanacho or simy should bench ighalo at the world cup then midfield should be etebo,Mikel and ndidi
Wel super eagle trying playing short one strikerless. but wat are this super eagle going russia for, wel to go and fly the jersey and come on time. The coach maybe the major problem wit 4 3 3 devilish formation.
I dont know that the formation and the forwards he use against argentina have all dead. then rip to the dead players.
pls i love to sees statistic of chances created for ighalo that he failed to scored..our teams theses days lack creativities,we only scored by luck or erros from the opposition .if like bring on the world class strickers into this team still de we perform woefully.
Spot on bro. We lack creative idea to create goal scoring chances.
The problem is the coach not the players, how can you pick players like this to the World Cup.
World Cup is for men not for boy, we don’t have the players that can give us what we want so
Let go to the World Cup and come back with shame.
Msugh ighalo has played 21 games and just two goals and you are calling it lack of creative?
wat about iheanacho that has scored 9 goal in 15 matches.
And 5 goals from false9 and 4 from midfield and 4 assists.
Are the goals not from.
Or iwobi that got 5 goals and 4 assists in 15 to 16 matches all from winger.
Are they spirit?
What is wrong with Balogun ? He runs like a chicken with out head. Hope Brighten Club don’t regret bringing him into the Premier League, Early exit awaits us. Folks will set themselves up if they think that this Couch has the magic wand. The Couch selection is fraught and his formation is strange. He is our problem.
That is the best description for Balogun, lol. He has also slow reflexes like a snail. Body of chicken, feet of snail. But wait, snails have no feet, lol.
Super eagles always start
Complete tell rohr to play owobi and iheanchho in attack 352 formation .ighalo and others are mere distraction to the team. This two are our best pair going forward. Check the records. When eagles perform. This two are always at the forefront
On point if only Rohr will read complete sports or can read in English
@chika, thanks for you short but precise comment………I sometimes fail to understand Rohr’s logic, why is he still using a striker that hasn’t yielded any return so far? Ighalo’s stats speaks so loud against his status as our main striker…..4 goals in 18 Caps versus Iheanacho…..8 goals in 17 Caps. Even our support strikers/ midfielders in Moses and Iwobi has better returns. He plays in China but can’t even assert himself in such a lowly rated league while Iheanaco and Simmy plays in top leagues with sterling recent form.
Please GR……..be fair and apply your mind well, equity and fairness is vital just as you anoint Izoho based on youthfulness and potential future years to play and improve against the older GKs, same applys to Iheanacho to further boost his confidence to improve better as he is also one of our future.
Ighalo has been a disappointment so far, only 1 goal for SE since the WC qualifying campaign till date………WOW!!!
The fact that the coach of the super eagles of Nigeria said that they are not ready for the world cup shows that more work needs to be done firstly in defence, secondly attack,also area of dealing with crosses and setpieces,accurate passing and general communication in the team.Wishing the team good luck in the world cup.
In other words, there is no team to speak of with all those problems you mention. It maybe too late now. God save Naija.
We will do well
Which Iheanacho? A play that gives the ball away cheaply, Iheanacho that has failed to improve since 2013,u guys should advise him to always closes is mouth when is playing.overhyping players is the main reason we in trouble now.imoh Ezekiel, Kayode, Nwakalis, usman, and Kalu are way better than most of these overhyped yeye players. Precise we don’t have a coach anyway.how can u go to World Cup with just one slow old creative midfielder?
@Sunnyb sorry to be trolling u but your criticism is baseless. u talked about over hyping of players. Are those players you mentioned not over hyped too? Every player can not represent the country at once. Better get behind the team or stop commenting.
That dude’s comment is always annoying, gosh! Is he even a Nigerian because honestly all he spits out is venom and baseless criticisms on every post about The Super Eagles @sunnyb
Am okay wit all d 23players selected,
But if dos guys dnt put in deir best lik dey did against czech playing lik say dey no dey collect moni i swear god punish dem