–NFF directs him to reduce list to 25
Exclusive by Johnny Edward:
Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has submitted a 27-man squad list for next month’s African Nations Cup qualifiers against Sudan but the Nigerian Football Federation has demanded he prune down the list to 25 for the double header, Complete Sports has exclusively gathered.
Keshi who has ignored the likes of in-form Hapoel Beer Sheva’s John Ogu, Uche Nwofor and Dynamo Kiev’s Lukman Haruna for the battle of Omdurman is reportedly battling to drop three players from the list he presented on Wednesday with the trio of Chinedu Obasi, Michael Babatunde and Victor Moses expected to be included in the list.
“Keshi has a list of 27 players for the game against Sudan and has been told to drop three players from the squad which is a bit difficult for him at the moment because that squad gives him a bit of option,” the source told Complete Sports.
“There are some exciting names on the squad for the game but I just hope we win both ties to stand a chance of qualifying for the Nations Cup,” he added.
“Also being considered is Brown Ideye but nothing looks guaranteed until the squad list is announced,” said the sources.
Meanwhile, Coach Stephen Keshi has hinted that Nigeria may likely return to Abuja for the return leg match against Sudan as directed by the Sports Minister Tammy Danagogo.
African champions Nigeria lost for the first time in Calabar earlier this month when they fell 3-2 to Congo with players of the Eagles complaining about the poor state of the Calabar pitch.
“The stadium is good to go,” stated Keshi after inspecting the Abuja National stadium pitch on Tuesday.
“The pitch is good. If it were possible, we will play our next game against Sudan here.
“I have seen it; it’s good for both training and match. But we will see how it goes.”
The Abuja National Stadium pitch has been refurbished and officials now say it can stage top-class games again.
Sudan host Nigeria on October 10 in Omdurman with the return leg match in Nigeria four days later.