–Dike earns 40,000 a month at Toronto FC
By Johnny Edward:
The Major League Soccer Player’s Union has released an updated list of player salaries and in-form Nigerian striker Obafemi Martins has dropped out from the top ten earners in the league.
The evergreen Martins who scored a brace for Seattle Sounders in their 4-2 win over Chivas USA to break the club’s goal scoring record at the weekend, picks up an annual salary more than £1m which works out at £20,000 a week, much more than what his compatriot Bright Dike earns at Toronto FC. Dike earns a paltry sum of 40,000 per annum at the club.
Former AC Milan and Real Madrid midfielder Kaka has been revealed as the highest earning MLS player, despite never having played for his club.
The 32-year-old Brazilian, who signed for Orlando City in June and was immediately loaned to Sao Paulo, earns just over £4.4million a year, which works out at £84,000 per week.
LA Galaxy forward Robbie Keane is second on the list with £2.76m more than Arsenal legend Thierry Henry (£2.67m) does at the New York Red Bulls in third spot while Bradley Wright-Phillips, who has scored 25 goals in 35 games for New York Red Bulls, earns £230,000 annually.
These are the top 15 earners in the league.
1. Kaka, Orlando City: $7.17 million
2. Clint Dempsey, Seattle Sounders: $6.7 million
3. Michael Bradley, Toronto FC: $6.5 million
4. Jermain Defoe, Toronto FC: $6.18 million
5. Landon Donovan, Los Angeles Galaxy: $4.58 million
6. Robbie Keane, Los Angeles Galaxy: $4.5 million
7. Thierry Henry, New York Red Bulls: $4.35 million
8. Tim Cahill, New York Red Bulls: $3.63 million
9. Jermaine Jones, New England Revolution: $3.25 million
10. Marco Di Vaio, Montreal Impact: $2.6 million
11. Obafemi Martins, Seattle Sounders: $1.75 million
12. Pedro Morales, Vancouver Whitecaps: $1.41 million
13. Omar Gonzalez, Los Angeles Galaxy: $1.25 million
14. Gilberto, Toronto FC: $1.21 million
15. Liam Ridgewell, Portland Timbers: $1.2 million