Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho is confident that his team will fight to win the English Premier League title this season.
The Red Devils finished sixth last term but have added three new players to their squad to mount a successful title challenge.
Mourinho signed Romelu Lukaku, Victor Lindelof and Nemanja Matic and he is still hopeful of landing a left-back and a winger before the end of the transfer window.
Manchester United will kick off their new campaign on Sunday at Old Trafford against West Ham.
“Yes, we can win it,” said Mourinho during his pre-match conference on Friday.
“I’m happy to start Sunday – we are ready.
“I would say there are seven teams to fight for the title and 20 teams to fight every week for every match.
“It’s different than any of the other leagues. I worked in three other leagues apart from the English one and every opponent gives you a hard time, but we are involved in four competitions.
The Portuguese boss also disclosed that he will be without three players for Sunday’s Premier League opener against West Ham.
“We added three players as you know – one defender, one midfielder and one attacking player, but for this beginning of the season we lost important players too,” the former Chelsea manager added.
“We lost Marcos Rojo, Ashley Young, Luke Shaw and Zlatan (Ibrahimovic), we lost players to injuries, so I think between the players we lost and the ones we got, we’re in a similar situation with more experience of working together, of a much better pre-season than we had last season, with the confidence levels of a team that won a European competition, one that is back in Champions League.
“So the motivation is higher and the confidence levels too, so I would say I’m really happy to start the Premier League this weekend, because our pre-season was very complete and was organised in a way where we start playing against MLS teams and we ended it playing against the best teams in Europe.”
On the return of Ibrahimovic to the squad, the former Chelsea and Real Madrid boss said: “You know he’s injured, he needs time to recover, he’s not ready to play.
“It’s not something urgent, that we are desperate to have it done or not done, I just think that he was very clear by showing what he did last year was not enough for him.
“He thinks he can do more and wants more at the highest level, so we’re having conversations and we’re discussing the possibility of him to stay with us for the second part of the season.”Copyright © 2020 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.