Brazil legend Pele has said he is “doing fine” after being transferred to a special care unit following treatment for a urinary infection.
According to bbc.com, the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo stated the 74-year-old three-time World Cup winner had been moved after suffering “clinical instability”.
Reports had suggested Pele, admitted on Monday, was in intensive care.
But Pele tweeted: “I was simply relocated to a special room within the hospital for privacy purposes only.”
“While I appreciate all the visitors that came to see me, I really need to continue my treatment and recovery in peace,” he added.
“I am blessed to receive your love and support, and thank God this is nothing serious.
“I am looking forward to spending the upcoming holidays with my family, and will start the new year with renewed health, with many international trips already planned! Thank you!”
The Brazilian, a World Cup winner in 1958, 1962 and 1970, was initially discharged from hospital on 13 November after surgery to remove kidney stones.
It is understood that while treatment in special care is above the level of routine care, it is less serious than intensive care, and the former footballer – widely regarded as the greatest player of all time – can still receive visitors.
Local media says it is possible Pele picked up an infection during the procedure to remove kidney stones and that the current treatment is usually straightforward.
Pele scored a world record total of 1,281 goals in 1,363 games during his 21-year career. The Fifa Player of the Century won 91 caps for Brazil and scored 77 goals.
He made 14 appearances at World Cup finals, scoring 12 goals, and picked up the the Fifa Golden Ball award as the best player at the 1970 tournament.