—Pinnick Insists No Cause For Alarm
By Richard Jideaka, Abuja:
The much talked about unveiling of newly appointed Super Eagles head coach, Sunday Oliseh, by the Nigeria Football Federation has been put on hold pending clearance from the Presidency.
Oliseh is in Abuja and is expected to be formally presented on Wednesday as Stephen Keshi’s successor.
But an authoritative source close to the Presidency told completesportsnigeria.com that the National Sports Commission have written to the Presidency seeking the green light to allow the NFF to go ahead with the hiring and unveiling of Sunday Oliseh and his crew to handle the Super Eagles.
Completesportsnigeria.com source revealed that the NSC, having been properly briefed with a written document on why Stephen Keshi was sacked and the reason why Oliseh was engaged, have equally prepared a brief to the Presidency for approval or otherwise.
“The unveiling cannot hold until we get clearance from the President and until due process is followed by the NFF,” the source tood completesportsnigeria.com. “As you also know the foreigner has to be cleared also for work permit among other knotty issues involved.”
Earlier President of the NFF, Amaju Pinnick, told journalists in Abuja on Tuesday that before the unveiling, the technical committee of the federation will have to meet with Oliseh before passing their recommendation to the executive committee for ratification.
Pinnick and his general secretary, Mohammed Sanusi, were at the office of the Director-General of the National Sports Commission, Mallam Alhassan Yakmut, to brief and plead with him to support the Oliseh project.
According to Pinnick, the issue must follow the due process which begins with the meeting with the technical committee before the report to the board.
Asked if the unveiling will still hold on Wednesday, Pinnick said: “I want to confirm to you that we are on course with Oliseh’s contract. As I speak to you, I can inform you that he has arrived in Nigeria and will be meeting with the technical committee but what I cannot confirm to you now is whether he will be unveiled.
“We have to wait and see if we will finally agree because assuming he could not agree with the technical committee, I can only tell you we are working towards it 100%. As part of the official procedure, we have written to the Bureau of Public Procurement and I don’t think we will have problems from them.”