16 first team players of Remo Stars Football Club, as on Saturday, were being treated for food poisoning ahead of Sunday's matchday-28 home clash against FC Ifeanyi Ubah in the NIgeria Professional Football League, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.
The players included the club's leading scorer, Victor Mbaoma, Ekene Awazie, Umar Martaba, Oknuoghae Osas, Edozie Ewelike, and Onovo David.
Others were Ekene Awazie, Abiodun Awoyemi, Ekene Obi, Saidu Muhammed, Paul Isaac the reserve goalkeeper, David Walbe, and Shuji Oshobe, Akeem Taiwo.
Mbaoma, the most ill, was hardly able to walk.
Also affected was the club's goalkeeper trainer, Dahiru Ilu.
According to a statement issued and signed by the media officer of the team, Oladimeji Oshode, the affected are currently recieving medical attention at the Ikenne General Hospital, Remo.
Confirming the development was the club's Secretary Michael Onikute.
He said: "It's such a disastrous incident. We have prepared well for the game against Ifeanyiubah and have had the players resting after dinner which they had Semovita and Egusi only for me to get a call that they werr in pains and all I could think of what getting them to the hospital alongside the Team Doctor.
"In a bid to keep them safe and have a clean bill of health the camp was fumigated yesterday (Friday) only for this casualty to befall us on the eve of a vital game against Ifeanyiubah."
Copyright © 2020 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.