After handing debuts to Kayode Olanrewaju, Isaac Success and Tyronne Ebuehi, Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has called up Zanalek player Maroof Youssef for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa in Uyo.
Here are some of the interesting facts about Yussuf presented by Completesportsnigeria.com's JOHNNY EDWARD:
1. Youssef has made 27 appearances and scored three goals for Zamalek in the Egyptian top flight this season. He has played 114 games and scored three goals since joining the club four years ago.
2. Youssef joined Zamalek for a fee of €200,000 after spending three years at another Egyptian club El Shorta. His market value has risen to €800,000 following his stellar performance in the Egyptian league.
3. He has won four trophies since joining Egyptian giants Zamalek in 2014: The Egyptian Premier League in 2014-15, Egypt Cup in 2015, 2016 and the Egyptian Super Cup in 2016.
4. The 24-year-old left-footed midfielder is in the squad as a back-up to Elderson Echiejile at left-back.
5. Yussuf never played for any team in the Nigerian Professional Football League before going to Egypt. He becomes the latest player in the current Super Eagles squad who never featured for an NPFL side: Ogenyi Onazi, Wilfred Ndidi, John Ogu, Mikel Agu, Victor Osimhen, Henry Onyekuru, Tyronne Ebuehi, Alex Iwobi,Chidozie Awaziem and Dele Alampasu are the others.
6. Yussuf can play comfortably in two different positions – left-back and central midfield.