Africa is a large continent with millions of people interested in sports betting, especially football. Africa’s interest in sports betting has seen millions of people across Nigeria, South Africa, Zambia, and other African countries flood sports betting shops and online betting platforms to place bets on their favorite teams.
Besides betting in foreign leagues and competitions, Africans also wager on their grassroots sports like football and basketball. However, before any African sports betting platform can function and serve the public, it must first obtain a license from the proper authorities who may range from the government or the right legislation team.
Overall, this guide on African sports betting will expose you and reveal if online sports betting is legal in Africa and the best ways to choose a soccer betting site in Africa.
So, we are ready, are you?
Are Online sports betting Legal in Africa?
Like you have with European online sports betting, online sports betting in Africa is legal and can be practiced without fear of being sanctioned by the local authorities. However, before any online sports betting platform, as well as online casinos can become legal in Africa, they must obtain a state-issued license.
Without these state-issued licenses, it would not be possible to offer sports betting services to people across the country and Africa in general. Suppose the online sports betting platform insists on being functional even without a license. In that case, they are likely to get sanctioned, fined, and most likely banned if they get caught by the different sports betting authorities.
The obtained online sports betting licenses offer different platforms the chance to provide online sports betting services like depositing and betting on a football match to win money. Any online sports bettor is advised to thoroughly scrutinize if the online sports betting platform they are interested in is licensed or not.
Placing bets on an online sports betting platform without a license puts you at risk of being scammed or defrauded. This is because they are unreliable and cannot be trusted to wager and hope to win even if everything turns out good.
A trusted online sports betting platform will try as much as possible to obtain a license before going on the internet to advertise and market its services to the public.
How to Choose a Sports betting site in Africa?
There are several features to consider when checking which sports betting site you should register for in Africa. However, do not forget that players can have multiple accounts with different sports betting sites with a wide range of available options.
A majority of the common European sports betting site allows Africans to bet, but that is if the African country’s rules permit it. Most sports betting sites licensed in Europe by the MGA are always trustworthy.
Meanwhile, in Africa, the reliability of sports betting sites is different. This is because some sports betting sites are established and run without a license while others are regulated and licensed.
The rivalry between the different sports betting sites in Africa is not slowing down any time soon, and this offers massive advantages to bettors in Africa. For instance, it can lead to higher odds and extra bonuses to attract more bettors.
Look below for some factors to consider when choosing a sports betting site in Africa:
● Odds and payout percentage: You should know that the higher the payout percentage is, the higher the odds will be. So, look out for an online sports betting platform that offers high odds because your chances of winning big are also high.
● License and regulation: Ensure the sports betting site has the license to operate within Africa.
● Welcome bonuses and promotions: Sports betting companies in Africa offer the highest bonuses and additional promotions whenever you register. Furthermore, the offered bonus increases your winnings and ensures you withdraw higher than you should.
● Several markets and sports games: All the best sports betting site in Africa offer different market options and sports. Make sure you select a sports betting site that you are allowed to choose different sport games and multiple market options.
● Live betting, cash out, and live streaming functions: Live betting allows you to place bets as the match is ongoing and live streaming permits you to watch the match happening currently. On the other hand, cash-out offers you the opportunity to take advantage of the two listed options and deposit a bet before the match comes to an end and reduce your losses or take all your wins.
● Multiple payment methods and fees: Every popular sports betting site in Nigeria, Uganda, South Africa, Ghana, and other African countries accepts depots through the use of credit or debit card, bank transfer, prepaid card, etc. e-wallet. However, before signing up for any sports betting site, ensure you verify if they accept the type of banking method you are most comfortable with. You can also compare the fees to see the one that works for you.
Reasons for the rise of sports betting in Africa
Due to many reasons, millions of people choose to register for sports betting in Africa. Here are some of the popular reasons why sports betting in Africa have grown massively over the years:
- High love for sports
- Light sports betting laws
- High use of mobile phones
- A quick way to make money
Africans widely love sports, and that is the reason millions of people are also sports bettors. Aside from loving sports, betting also offers you the opportunity to make money with your game knowledge.
Read through this article once more to catch a glimpse of sports betting in Africa.
- Which odd format is used for sports betting in Africa>
The decimal odds format is widely used by sports betting sites in Africa.
- Do African players pay tax on sports betting winnings?
A majority of African bettors do not pay tax on the winnings from sports betting. While every African country’s rules vary, taxes are usually taken from your winnings by the betting company.
- Do African sports betting sites accept cryptocurrency as a payment method?
Although cryptocurrency is slowly being accepted as a payment method in some European countries, there is yet to be any trace of it being accepted in Africa.