Boehly To Be Removed As Chelsea Chairman

Boehly To Be Removed As Chelsea Chairman

Todd Boehly will be removed as chairman of Chelsea football club in 2027, Daily Mail understands.

As part of an extraordinary agreement the club’s American co-owners can pass the chairmanship between themselves every five years.

And it can be revealed that the intention is to do just that when the opportunity arises at the end of the 2026-27 season.

Under the terms of the group’s takeover, Boehly is thought to have ‘gone first’ despite holding a minority stake.

Clearlake Capital, the private equity firm managed by fellow owners Behdad Eghbali and Jose Feliciano, have a 61.5 per cent share in the club’s holding company while Boehly has an equal split of the remaining 38.5 per cent with Hansjorg Wyss and Mark Walter.

However, the option to choose the first chairman is thought to have been connected to the terms of the 2022 sale agreement which, while there would be no negative impact or cost or interest payout from club coffers, state that Boehly’s group would be liable to pay any first losses in the event of a realisation or a sale.

Also Read: Paris 2024: South Africa Coach Expects Hostile Environment In Abuja

Eghbali or Feliciano could take the role themselves or may identify a third party to take the reins. No decision on who would take the chairmanship has been made, but Boehly will be removed from the post.

He would then have the option to return in 2032 should he wish to do so and should he retain his stake at Stamford Bridge. He and his group could also look elsewhere.

It has been a tough campaign for the Blues this campaign as they currently occupy 11th position in the league table.

Despite a disappointing season, Chelsea got to the final of the League only to lose 1-0 to Liverpool.

They will take on Manchester City in the FA Cup semi-finals on 20 April, 2024.

Copyright © 2024 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.


Update cookies preferences