Iran have successfully requested that FIFA move their 2026 World Cup training base from the United States to Mexico, according to Iranian football officials.
The team will now be based in Tijuana, Mexico, located just south of San Diego, rather than their previously planned base in Tucson, Arizona.
Iran will play their first two Group G matches in Los Angeles, against New Zealand on June 15 and Belgium on June 21, before facing Egypt in Seattle on June 26.
Change Of Base By Iran
The decision is motivated by potential visa issues, security concerns surrounding the U.S.-Iran relationship, and the need to provide a more secure environment for the team.
Read Also: Ebola Outbreak: DR Congo World Cup Squad Ordered To Isolate For 21 Days Before Entry To US
Iran will fly into the U.S. for their matches (scheduled in Los Angeles and Seattle) and return to Mexico for training, with the team potentially utilizing direct Iran Air flights, according to Iran Football Federation President Mehdi Taj.
Iranian officials had noted that players and staff had not yet received U.S. visas less than a month before the tournament, prompting the change to a Mexican base.
Taj also revealed that several high-level meetings were held to ensure the relocation complied fully with FIFA regulations and tournament logistics.
“All team base camps for the countries participating in the World Cup must be approved by FIFA,” Taj said in his statement.
“Fortunately, following the requests we submitted and the meetings we held with FIFA and World Cup officials in Istanbul, as well as the webinar meeting we had yesterday in Tehran with the respected FIFA secretary general, our request to change the team’s base from the United States to Mexico was approved.”
Read Also:Iheanacho Eager To Extend Celtic Stay
Visa Uncertainty For The Iranian Team
The Iranian football federation’s vice-president Mehdi Mohammad Nabi said on Tuesday that the federation was unsure if US visas would be granted to all of the team and accompanying officials.
“We’re not certain yet that all the players and staff will receive US visas,” he said, but added that Iran was “very confident” in FIFA’s protocols.
Sarah Hanna, the head of the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson where the Iran team were to have been based, told Agence France-Presse that she could not confirm the move to Mexico and referred all questions to World Cup organisers.


