British heavyweight Anthony Joshua says he is to blame and will offer no excuses after his defeat to Andy Ruiz Jr. The fans’ favourite suffered the first defeat of his professional career on Saturday after being stopped in round seven during his US debut.
Joshua had been expected to cruise to victory at Madison Square Garden, but he touched the canvas on four occasions before the referee waved the fight off. Promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed on Tuesday that a rematch clause has been triggered, with the duo set to meet in November or December this year.
Since his defeat, several rumours have surfaced about his mental state and sparring incidents, but the Londoner has said his own mistakes cost him the fight. He told fans on his YouTube channel: “The whole training camp team pulled together and did a great job. I started my camp in Sheffield and worked their four weeks before coming to New York for the press tour.
“There were a lot of issues going on with the fight, with Jarrell Miller, Luis Ortiz pulling out, Ruiz stepping in. It all added to the drama of heavyweight boxing. “After the press conferences I went to Miami, where the set-up was spot on. I didn’t go out, I was eating in-house, there was no contaminated food. “I know there are accusations and worries about what was wrong with me.
I want to tell you this; I’m a soldier and I have to take my ups with my downs. “I warmed up really well. I had no panic attack – I’m not that person, you know me. I have to take my loss as a man, no blaming anyone, no blaming anything. “I am the one who went in there to perform and my performance never went to plan. On Saturday I took a loss and I have to take it like a man.”Copyright © 2020 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.