England opener Jason Roy says he is ready for whatever comes his way when he takes to the field to face Australia on Thursday. After reports from the Australian camp that they would be targetting the new opener, the batsman himself knows he faces a baptism of fire when he opens England’s innings in the first Test at Edgbaston.
Roy is determined to take the opportunity that has come his way and is ready for any sledging aimed in his direction. Australia started the verbals earlier this week when fast bowler Josh Hazlewood claimed the 29-year-old would struggle with the red-ball having concentrated on white-ball cricket for so many years.
Related: Hameed’s Form A Puzzle For Allott
Roy told the Mail: “He’s absolutely right. “It is a different game and it’s going to be hard. He’s stating the obvious, isn’t he? But they’re going to be under more pressure than I am. “Australia’s attack have played Test cricket. “They should know how to bowl and they’re under pressure to get me out.
I’m going in with open eyes and I’m expecting a lot of verbals. If it’s already started then great. That gets you going. “They’re a high-class attack. “They know I’ve played one Test, so they will have the upper hand. But I’m not scared and I’m not doubting myself. I’m just excited to be going to work against one of the best attacks in the world at Edgbaston.”