HomeSports News Extra

Tyson’s Fight Against Jake Paul Postponed Over Health Scare

Tyson’s Fight Against Jake Paul Postponed Over Health Scare

The much-anticipated fight between Mike Tyson and YouTuber Jake Paul on July 20 in Texas has been postponed after the former heavyweight champion’s recent health scare. 

In a statement issued by the organizers, it was stated that Tyson had been advised to do only minimal training in the coming weeks following a follow-up with doctors on Thursday, revealing the boxer had been struggling with an “ulcer flare-up.

“The recommendation is for Mike Tyson to do minimal to light training over the next few weeks and then return to full training with no limitations,” the statement said.

“Both Mike and Jake are in agreement that it is only fair to ensure that both athletes have equal training time to prepare for this important match and are able to compete at the highest level.

 

Read Also: Mikel Is A Legend –Iwobi



“The health and well-being of athletes is our top priority, and we fully support Mike in taking the necessary time to allow him to perform at the level he expects of himself.”

The statement said a new date for the fight, which is to be carried live by streaming giant Netflix, would be announced by June 7.

Tyson, who on Tuesday insisted he felt “100%” despite Sunday’s health drama insisted he would be in prime condition when his showdown with Paul eventually goes ahead.

“I want to thank my fans around the world for their support and understanding during this time,” Tyson said in a statement.

“Unfortunately, due to my ulcer flare-up, I have been advised by my doctor to lighten my training for a few weeks to rest and recover.

“My body is in better overall shape than it has been since the 1990s and I will be back to my full training schedule soon.

“Jake Paul, this may have bought you some time, but in the end you will still be knocked out and out of boxing for good.”

Paul meanwhile said he backed the fight’s postponement.

“I fully support postponing the event so Mike Tyson has no excuses come fight night,” Paul said.

Tyson, who turns 58 in June, had been due to face Paul in a professional bout comprising eight two-minute rounds that has been sanctioned by boxing authorities in Texas.

However several members of the boxing community, including former heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder, had voiced reservations about the fight, expressing concern Tyson could be hurt.

Tyson shrugged off the misgivings at a press conference earlier this month, describing his decision to return to the ring as a “no-brainer.”

“I’m beautiful, that’s all I can say,” Tyson said. “The people who said that wish that they were up here. No one else can do this.”

Tyson, who terrorized the heavyweight division in the 1980s and 1990s as the self-styled “baddest man on the planet”, last fought as a professional in 2005.


Copyright © 2024 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
Update cookies preferences