Former Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz’s condition has worsened after he suffered kidney failure following his positive test for the deadly coronavirus.
One of Sanz’s three sons admitted overnight the news coming from medics treating the 76-year-old was “not at all good.”
It emerged on Wednesday that Sanz was in intensive care at a Madrid hospital with coronavirus.
His condition was said to be serious but his son fears his dad would not survive his health drama with a distressing update.
We have just spoke to the doctor and the news is not at all good,” The 48-year-old said.
“Apart from the breathing difficulties he was experiencing he’s suffered kidney failure from a serious infection.
“We have to wait 24 hours but because of his age it’s very complicated.”
He added, referring to the agony experienced by the the loved ones of coronavirus sufferers around the world because of forced hospital quarantines: “The worst thing is not being able to be by his side.”
Sanz, a diabetic, was Real Madrid’s president for five years from 1995 until he was replaced by Florentino Perez.
He appointed former England boss Fabio Capello as club manager in his first full season in charge.
His big signings included Roberto Carlos, Predrag Mijatovic, Clarence Seedorf and Davor Suker. Real Madrid won the Champions League twice (1998 and 2000) under his reign.
One of his two daughters is married to former Real Madrid and Blackburn Rovers right-back Michel Salgado.
Former Real Madrid player, another of his three sons, told Spanish media on Tuesday his dad had tried to treat himself at home so he didn’t put the hospital system under strain before his condition worsened, adding: “We are quite worried.
“My dad had a fever for eight days and was taking paracetamol.
“He got worse because he couldn’t breathe properly. He was admitted to hospital with a lack of oxygen in his blood. They’ve told my mum he was bad.”
Around 600 people with coronavirus have died so far in the ongoing crisis in Spain. The number of diagnosed cases stood at 13,801 early on Thursday.
Malaga-based youth team football coach Francisco Garcia, 20, died on Sunday after being diagnosed with leukaemia, coronavirus and pneumonia.
He was admitted to hospital four days earlier after the onset of what his family and their GP thought at first was a common cold.
Copyright © 2024 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.