The Federation of International Federation of Association (FIFA) on Thursday announced the cancellation of the men’s U-17 and U-20 World Cups due to the impact of Covid-19.
In a statement released on its website, it said that the 2021 edition of both tournaments will be cancelled, and the next edition will be held in 2023 at the venues that were to host the 2021 of the tournament.
“The COVID-19 pandemic continues to present challenges for the hosting of international sporting events and to have a restrictive effect on international travel. FIFA has therefore regularly consulted the relevant stakeholders, including the host member associations as well as the confederations involved in both tournaments originally scheduled to take place in 2021,” the football governing body said in a statement.
Read Also: CAFCC: Rivers United Pip Bloemfontein Celtic 2-0 Away
“In doing so, it became clear that the global situation has failed to normalise to a sufficient level to address the challenges associated with hosting both tournaments, including the feasibility of the relevant qualification pathways,” it added.
The men’s U-20 World Cup was to be hosted in Indonesia while the U-17 World Cup was to be hosted in Peru.
FIFA extended its gratitude to the host member associations as well as the authorities in Indonesia and Peru for their commitment and the tournament preparations made so far.Copyright © 2020 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.