HomeWorld Football

Man City Confirm Three New COVID-19 Cases Ahead Carabao Cup Tie Vs Man United

Man City Confirm Three New COVID-19 Cases Ahead Carabao Cup Tie Vs Man United

Ahead of today’s Carabao Cup semi-final against Manchester United at Old Trafford, Manchester City have confirmed Scott Carson, Cole Palmer and one staff member have tested positive for coronavirus, taking cases at the club over the last fortnight up to 17.

The new cases demonstrated the worsening status of the Covid-19 crisis at the club, with the veteran goalkeeper, young midfielder and staff member joining the six other Man City players and three members of staff who have already contracted the virus.

The news comes just a few hours before Pep Guardiola’s men take on United in the Carabao Cup semi-finals, and a day after the latest Covid figures released on Tuesday showed cases across the Premier League doubled with a new record of 40 new positive tests. 

Also Read: WIjnaldum Rejects Liverpool Contract Offer

A club statement said: “Manchester City FC can confirm that Scott Carson, Cole Palmer and one member of staff have tested positive for COVID-19. 

“Both personnel will now observe a period of self-isolation in accordance with Premier League and UK Government protocol on quarantine.

“Everyone at the Club wishes Scott, Cole and all of our other colleagues a speedy recovery ahead of their return to work, training and competition.”

Man City saw their festive period severely disrupted by a Covid outbreak in the squad, which led to their Premier League fixture at Everton on December 28 being postponed.

Kyle Walker and Gabriel Jesus were the first two players to return positive tests followed by three more within the squad ahead of the trip to Goodison Park.

City’s training ground was closed for a deep clean as a result and more rounds of testing carried out. 

Testing following the victory at Chelsea at the weekend showed a positive for centre-back Eric Garcia, but the Spaniard was sidelined anyway and wouldn’t have made the squad for the trip to Stamford Bridge. 

Walker and Jesus are said to have come out of quarantine on Tuesday but are unlikely to feature at Old Trafford.

Four Premier League fixtures have been postponed as a result of Covid outbreaks so far this season. Newcastle United called off their trip to Aston Villa last month after a spate of positives within their squad and staff.

City’s game at Everton was the second and an outbreak at Fulham this week saw the postponement of their visits to Tottenham and Burnley.

Fastest Paying Betting Site in Nigeria: Grab your 140% First Time Deposit Bonus Now — www.Sportybet.Com

Copyright © 2021 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.

 

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 1