The Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development has reaffirmed its mandate over the administration of national sports federation in Nigeria.
The ministry according to a release by its permanent secretary, Olusade Adesola, acknowledged the receipt of the communique from the board meeting of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria.
The statement of the ministry came as a result of the decision of the suspended president of the AFN, Ibrahim Shehu Gusau who declared the body autonomous from control on Wednesday.
The statement reads;
The Ministry is in receipt of the communiqué arising from the Board meeting held on the 3rd of December, 2019 of the AFN and signed by the Secretary General Prince Adeniyi A. Beyioku
2. The Ministry notes the following;
i. that the meeting was duly convened by the then President, Engr. Ibrahim Shehu Gusau,
ii. that seven (7) Board members met at the AFN secretariat in Abuja and that three (3) members sent apologies,
iii. the Board in the absence of the President, mandated the Vice President Olamide George to preside over the proceedings of the Board in acting capacity,
iv. the several violations by the President of the Constitution of the Federation Code of Governance and extant rules,
v. the unanimous decision reached by the Board suspending the President arising from infractions, and
vi. the setting up of a five man investigative panel to report to the next Board meeting of its findings.
3. Following from the above, the Ministry cautions the erstwhile President Ibrahim Gusau to note the above and subject himself to the outcome of the proceedings. We also encourage the Board to continue to carry out the affairs of the Federation in accordance with extant rules and regulations.
4. The FMYSD hereby reinstates that it has statutory responsibilities for the formulation, supervision, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes on Sports administration in the country.
5. In the discharge of these responsibilities, the Ministry through the 38 National Sports Federations under its supervision ensures the compliance with laid down Rules and Regulations of the Code of Governance, which the constitution of the National Sports Federations recognises.
6. By appropriation, the Ministry is equally responsible for the financial sponsorship of most activities of the National Sports Federations, the preparation and participation at international competitions as well as the presentation of Nigerian athletes at international competitions.
7. In accordance with provisions of Article 13(1) of the Code of Governance for National Sports Federations, each National Sports Federation is expected to furnish the Ministry with its Quarterly and Annual Performance Report of its activities.
8. While it is acknowledged that National Sports Federations are independent in the administration of their day to day activities, no National Sports Federation can be said to be autonomous of Government due to the constitutional provisions as well as the appropriation support from the Federation Account of the Federal Government.Fastest Paying Betting Site in Nigeria: Grab your 140% First Time Deposit Bonus Now — www.Sportybet.Com Copyright © 2021 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.