fbpx
HomeNigerian Footballers Abroad

QPR’s Osayi-Samuel Suffers Racist Abuse 

QPR’s Osayi-Samuel Suffers Racist Abuse 

Bright Osayi-Samuel revealed he was racially abused on social media after QPR’s 1-1 draw with Norwich on Tuesday night, describing the comments as “disgusting and painful to receive messages like this”.

In a statement to Sky Sports News on Wednesday morning, QPR said they “completely deplore the abhorrent abuse Bright has been subjected to” and are working with Instagram to help them identify the individual concerned.

QPR boss Warburton says the whole squad are behind Osayi-Samuel and urged clubs and governing bodies to work together to try and eradicate discrimination from society.

Also Read: Watford Coach Munoz Provides Update On Success Injury

Warburton said: “I found that particular abuse stomach-sickening. It was absolutely outrageous. Bright is a young guy, 23 last week, to be subjected to that is totally unacceptable. Everyone is behind him.

“We need to work with the authorities, Instagram and the police to make sure these individuals are named and shamed.

“He is speaking to the right people. He understands there are these moronic individuals out there. We have to make sure, if possible, we trace them down and hunt them down because it is totally unacceptable.

“He’s got the support of his team-mates and staff. He’s also a professional athlete. I’m not saying they are used to this type of thing, far from it, but they grow thick skin being professional players as you have to have [it].

“We have to accept there’s these individuals out there. We need to stick together and not lose focus. It can’t be this happens then a few days go by and then we move on. We need to make sure we work together as clubs, institutions and governing bodies to make sure such behaviour is eradicated from society.”

A statement from the Metropolitan Police confirmed no arrests have yet been made but that an investigation into the matter is under way.

“Police are aware of an Instagram post made on Tuesday, 29 December,” the statement said. “We were subsequently contacted on Wednesday, 30 December by a third party about a report of racial and abusive messages sent via social media.

“Officers will now endeavour to make contact with regards to making a report. The matter is currently under investigation. At this early stage there have been no arrests.”

Copyright © 2020 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.

 

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0