Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Burnley

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Burnley

Raul Jimenez’s injury-time penalty rescued Wolves a point as they drew 1-1 against Burnley at Molineux. Wolves came into the contest on the back of a nine-game unbeaten run in the Premier League at home, while they had won their last four top-flight home games against Burnley.

However, it was the Clarets who drew first blood as Ashley Barnes fired them ahead in the early exchanges.
It looked like the visitors would hold on for a second win of the season until stoppage time when the Video Assistant Referee backed referee Craig Pawson’s decision to award a spot-kick and Jimenez fired in with virtually the last kick of the game.

It sealed a second consecutive 1-1 draw for the hosts while Burnley have won, lost and drawn their opening three matches of the season.
Nuno Espirito Santo looked to utilise his squad as he made five changes to the Wolves side who won away against Torino in the Europa League on Thursday night as Matt Doherty, Ryan Bennett, Jonny, Morgan Gibbs-White and Ruben Neves replaced Jesus Vallejo, Adama Traore, Leander Dendoncker, Romain Saiss and Ruben Vinagre.

Burnley boss Sean Dyche opted to name an unchanged starting XI for the third successive match.
Neves handed Burnley an early warning with an effort dipping just over the crossbar as he looked to follow up his sensational strike in the 1-1 draw against Manchester United on Monday night.

Barnes then tried his luck from distance on 10 minutes but the ball fizzed wide of Rui Patricio’s upright.
The Clarets forward was not to be denied three minutes later when he picked up possession 25 yards from goal and thundered a half-volley into the bottom corner past Patricio.

It was almost 2-0 on 17 minutes when Ben Mee got his head to an Ashley Westwood cross towards the back post and watched as his effort bounced down off the crossbar before being scrambled clear.

Wolves did get more into the game, but again Burnley went close on the half-hour when Chris Wood was afforded too much time and space on the left-hand edge of the area and hit a shot inches wide of the far post.

Burnley continued to look a threat in the final third with Wood again creating an opening two minutes later only for Patricio to get a hand to his low effort, before the defence hacked the loose ball away to safety.

Both sides had chances early in the second half with Gibbs-White being teed up by Raul Jimenez but he failed to get a clean connection on his shot and the ball fizzed wide of the post, before Barnes diverted a Westwood cross inches wide at the opposite end of the field.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson attempted to emulate Barnes with an effort from 25 yards on the hour, but the Icelandic’s effort just cleared Patricio’s crossbar as Burnley seemed relatively comfortable in the lead.

Traore was brought on to try and inject some pace into the Wolves’ attack and, after Matt Lowton lashed a low ball across the six-yard area on 81 minutes, Clarets keeper Nick Pope was forced to make his first serious save a minute later as he denied Mee inside the area.
Wolves continued to push for an equaliser and they went even closer in the third minute of stoppage time when Jimenez when his scuffed shot on the turn beat Pope but bounced off the post.

Their persistence paid off when Pawson adjudged that Erik Pieters appeared to go through the back of Jimenez inside the area and VAR backed his decision to give the penalty which the Mexican then coolly converted.


Fastest Paying Betting Site in Nigeria: Grab your 140% First Time Deposit Bonus Now — www.Sportybet.Com

Copyright © 2021 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.