Novak Djokovic says it was nice to return to winning ways at the Miami Open after downing Bernard Tomic in the second round. The world number one suffered a shock-third round exit at Indian Wells last week and admits he’s spent plenty of time on the practice court ahead of this week’s event following his defeat at the hands of Philipp Kohlschreiber.
The Serb looked more like his usual self on Friday night as he opened up his bid for a record seventh title in Miami with a 7-6 (7-2) 6-2 win over Australia’s Tomic. The 31-year-old hit 23 winners and broke his opponent three times as he booked his spot in the third round, describing his performance as “solid” after coming off the court at Hard Rock Stadium.
“[Tomic] doesn’t give you much rhythm at all. Every ball is different. He can play equally well in the court and far behind the baseline, slows down the pace. He just has a very unconventional shot. Kind of hard to play someone that you can’t really predict what’s next,” Djokovic, who will face Argentinian Federico Delbonis in the next round, told the ATP Tour website.
“I’m just working to be the best version of myself on the court this year and trying to get to the level that I was at during the Australian Open. If I can do that, I have a chance to go far during this tournament.” Elsewhere, last week’s Indian Wells champion Dominic Thiem is out in Miami after he lost 6-4 6-4 to Hubert Hurkacz of Poland.Fastest Paying Betting Site in Nigeria: Grab your 140% First Time Deposit Bonus Now — www.Sportybet.Com Copyright © 2020 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.