World No. 1 Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the 2026 US Open due to an ongoing right knee issue.
The Italian player announced he needs more time to recover, making him only the second reigning world No. 1 to miss the New York major since ATP rankings began.
Read Also:It Was Not Difficult Playing Against Fernandez –Jablonec strike
Recall that Sinner has not played a competitive match since winning Wimbledon on July 12, having also skipped tune-up events in Montreal and Cincinnati.
“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” the Italian said in a statement.
“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue.
“I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart,” said the 24-year-old who won the US Open in 2024 but lost last year’s final to Carlos Alcaraz.
“I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there.
Read Also:Championship: Millwall Boss Confirms Azeez Will Miss Norwich Clash
Sinner will remain in Europe and continue his recovery with the aim of being ready for the Asian swing and the tournaments in Beijing and Shanghai.
Sinner had been dominating the 2026 season with an impressive record of 44 wins against three losses and six titles won, including Wimbledon.


